Friday, January 24, 2014

Cookies and Football

          During last week's playoff game, my grandson called his friend, Kevin, to come over and watch the Seahawks play the 49er's.  The conversation went like this:

Jason:  "Hey, ya wanna watch the game over here?"
Kevin:  "Maybe later.  I'm gonna do some stuff and take a shower first."
Jason:  "My mom's making cookies."
Kevin: "I'll be right there."

          Deja vu.  When my kids were young--especially in high school--they requested extra homemade cookies in their lunches because they needed to share with their friends.  This was not a ploy to gain popularity.  They all had adequate personalities to garner multiple friends.  It was just that those friends were hard to say "no' to. 

          I had grown to love having little personal identity apart from being somebody's mom when I was introduced or referred to.  I was genuinely proud to be their mom--in fact nothing else gave me as much fulfillment and pride.  But this was a new era--the era of the cookie-identity.  But it didn't so much define me as it did their friends.  They would introduce me to their friends like this:  "Mom. this is Bill.  He likes your walnut shortbread."  Or, "Mom. this is Susan.  Your chocolate chip cookies are her favorite."

          I don't want to brag, but it's my old recipe that had Kevin changing his priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment